White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji)
White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji) is served in most of Goan local restaurants and is the most favorite of all the goans. white-peas-gravy-(Chana-patal bhaaji) has the flavors of all the whole masalas. Goans relish the White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji) with pao (goan local bread) for the breakfast.
I tried to make White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji) in a restaurant style. So here goes the White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji) recipe. Cook, serve the White peas Gravy (Chana Patal Bhaaji) with puri, chapatti or Pao and enjoy…..
- Don’t skip to add the finely chopped green coriander leaves as it gives flavor to the dish.
- Don’t overcook the white peas. It should be rightly cooked. Pressure cooking for 4 whistles will give the right result.
Health benefits of white peas (White watana):
- White peas (White watana) provide good amounts of four important minerals, two B-vitamins and protein.
- White peas (White watana) are loaded with antioxidants.
- White peas (White watana) are good source of fibre.
- It provides a good supply of magnesium material.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
White Peas (Chana) : ¼ cup
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Onion: 2 (one sliced and one finely chopped)
Potato: 1 small (chopped into big cubes)
Black pepper: 1tspn
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Dry coriander seeds: 2 tbspn
Star anise: 2 petals (seeds removed)
Mace: 1 petal
Fennel seeds: 1 tspn
Poppy seeds: 1tspn
Dry red chillies: 5
Turmeric: 1/2 tspn
Oil : 3 tbspn
Green coriander leaves: 2 tbspn (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
- Soak the white peas (chana) overnight. Pressure cook white peas (chana) for 4 whistles.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Stir fry sliced onion till brown.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry till brownish.
- Dry roast all the whole masala on a low flame till nice aroma wafts from the pan.
- Grind the coconut very fine along with the roasted whole masalas, turmeric and little water.
- Heat 2 tbspn oil and stir-fry finely chopped onion till it changes colour.
- Add the ground masala and cooked white peas, potatoes along with water.
- Add the required water to the gravy; the gravy should be of thin consistency.
- Add the green coriander and salt.
- Remove from heat when potatoes are cooked.
- Serve with puri, chapathi or pao.