Vataana Usaal (white peas usaal) is an auspicious dish for Goan Hindus as it is specially prepared during Diwali festival. This scrumptious dish is loved by all the people including kids.
Tip: you can vary the number of green chillies as per your taste.
- White peas provide good to excellent amounts of four important minerals, two B-vitamins and protein, all with virtually no fat.
- White peas are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fibre.
- It also helps manage blood-sugar disorders since their high fibre content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal.
- White peas, like other legumes, are rich in soluble fibre.
- They are a good source of potassium, which may decrease the growth and development of blood vessel plaques and is also good for lowering high blood pressure.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
White peas: 1 cup
Grated coconut: ½ cup
Green chillies: 2
Black pepper seeds: 10
Asafoetida (hing): a pinch
Curry leaves: 10
Mustard seeds: ½ tspn
Salt per taste
- Pressure cook the white peas for 4 whistles.
- Grind the grated coconut, black pepper and jaggery coarsely.
- Mix the cooked white peas, ground coconut, salt and very little water.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame for 3-4 mins.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cooked white peas mixture and mix well.
- Simmer for 2-3 mins and remove from heat.
You may also like other veg recipes (Goan Cuisine Recipes)