Sprouted Moong beans gravy (Mooga gaathi)
Sprouted Moong beans gravy (Mooga gaathi) is the most popular dish of Goa and is specially made during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. Sprouted Moong beans gravy (Mooga gaathi) is rich in protein hence is also very healthy and nutritious.
Sprouted Moong beans gravy (Mooga gaathi) with pepper and coriander flavor is relished by Goans.
Tip: In order to prepare the sprouted moong, soak the moong overnight. In the morning drain away the water and leave the moong covered for the full day. If it’s hot season you can sprout the moong in the covered vessel but if it’s winter season tie the moong in the muslin cloth. In the night again soak the moong and leave it soaked for overnight. The next day morning the sprouted moong are ready.
You can use the sprouted moong at that time or refrigerate and use later on. This sprouted moong will last if refrigerated for another 3-4 days.
Health benefits of sprouted moong:
- The biochemical process of spouting transforms the Moong beans into superfood. It is source of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and proteins, which provide essential nutrients to the body.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 min
Sprouted moong: 1 cup
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Red chillies : 3
Dry coriander seeds: 1 tspn
Turmeric powder: ¼ tspn
Jaggery: 1 tbspn
Tamarind paste: 1tbsn
Mustard seeds: 1 tspn
asafoetida : ¼ tspn
Curry leaves: 9-10
Salt to taste
- Rinse the sprouted moong in water to remove the loosened skins taking care not to break the sprouts.
- Boil the sprouted moong in 2 cups of water.
- Once it’s cooked the moong skins will come off and start floating in water which can be removed.
- Heat the oil ia pan and roast the red chillies, peppercorns and dry coriander seeds.
- Grind the grated coconut along with the turmeric powder, tamarind and roasted ingredients to a fine paste.
- Mix the ground paste with the cooked sprouted moong and cook on a low flame.
- Add jaggery,salt and continue cooking on a low flame for 5 mins.
- Heat the oil in a pan, splutter mustard seed.
- Add hing, curry leaves and pour the mixture onto the gravy.
- Serve with chapathi, puri or rice.