Sole Fish Curry (Lepo Hooman) with jeerem (cumin) and meerem(pepper)
Goan Hooman varies in taste and colour as you move across the different villages from North Goa to South Goa. Sole Fish Curry (Lepo Hooman) with jeerem (cumin) and meerem(pepper) has the unique flavor of jeerem (cumin ) and meerem (pepper) making it delectable.
You can also prepare Mirvani – a dry dish made out of sole fish using the same ingredients as below. But only the change you require to make is the paste has to be ground dry with very little water. Also you can increase the quantity of pepper as per your taste. Mirvani is a dry dish with very hot peppery taste.
Health Benefits of sole fish (lepo):
Sole fish is a good source of protein and have less than 2 grams of fat. This flatfish species is also a good source of niacin, B vitamins, phosphorus, calcium and selenium
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Sole fish: 15 (medium sized)
Grated oconut: ½ (medium sized
Onion : 2 (small sized)
Red chillies: 5
Garlic: 3 flakes
Cumin seeds: 1tspn
Turmeric powder: 1 tspn
Tamarind paste: 1tbspn
Salt as per taste
- Clean the sole fish and de-skin it. Apply salt to sole fish and wash after 10 mins.
- Slice one onion and chop the other onion very finely.
- Combine grated coconut, sliced onion, red chilles, garlic, pepper, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, tamarind and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat the oil in a vessel, add the chopped onion and stir fry till light brown.
- Add the ground paste with water required to make it curry consistency.
- Bring the curry to a boil and add the sole fish (lepo) and salt.
- Bring it to another boil and remove from heat.
- Serve the Sole Fish Curry (Lepo Hooman) with hot rice.
You may also like other fish recipes (Goan cuisine recipes)