Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji)
Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji) is cultivated in Goan local fields and is found in abundance in Goa. Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji) is a nutritious vegetable rich in protein.
Red Amaranth vegetable (Tambdi bhaji) is called as tambdi bhaji (konkani term) in Goa because of its red colour. It is believed to have a number of curative properties, providing protection against calcium deficiency and premature aging.
Tip: You can even sprinkle little water in between if you feel the vegetable is getting stuck to the pan. Cooking on a low flame is a must to avoid the sticking of vegetable to the pan.
Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji)is highly vitamin-rich and is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate and riboflavin.
Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji) includes numerous minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and especially manganese.
Red Amaranth Vegetable (Tambdi Bhaji) contains large amounts of protein and dietary fiber.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Red vegetable: 2 bunches
Grated coconut: 1/4 cup
Green chilies: 2
Water: 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the vegetable finely. chop the onion finely. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Mix all the ingredients except salt.
- Cook covered on a low flame.
- Stir in-between after every 3 mins to check water.
- When the water almost dries up, add sugar and salt; mix well.
- Keep on flame till water totally dries up.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for 5- 10 mins so that vegetable gets cooked on steam.
- Serve red amaranth vegetable (tambdi bhaji) as a side dish with the rice.