Raechad Mackerel (Raechad Bangdo)
Mackerel is the most readily available fish in the Goan local market. It is compared to the other variety of fishes in Goan local market. It has many health benefits, too.
Mackeral fish found in abundance can be cooked in various ways out of which Raechad mackerel (Raechad Bangdo) is the most popular among goans. The essence of Raechad mackerel (Raechad Bangdo) is raechad masala prepared from mixture of various spices and applied to the mackerel before frying the same in oil. To check preparation method for raechad masala click Raechad Masala
Tip: Raechad masala quantity can be varied to taste.
Health benefits of mackerel:
Mackerel is one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids occur in high quantities in this fish. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K. It also includes various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and selenium.The fish also contains proteins.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Mackerels: 2 (medium sized)
Raechad masala: 6 tspns
Salt to taste
- Discard the head and tail of the mackerels.
- Slit the mackerels lengthwise from head to tail.
- Apply salt to mackerel and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Stuff in the raechad masala in the slits. (1 tspn on each side)
- Spread over the masala uniformly inside the slits.
- Apply little masala outside on both sides of fish.
- Roll over the mackerels in the rawa.
- Shallow fry on both sides till done.
- Serve Raechad mackerel (Raechad Bangdo) hot a s starter or as a side dish with fish curry rice.