Raagi Pudding (Nachni satva)
Raagi pudding (Nachni satva) is the most nutritious food rich in calcium and iron. Raagi pudding (Nachni satva) is a traditional Goan cuisine recipe. The lovely taste of Raagi pudding (Nachni satva) made by my grandmother is still lingering in my mouth. Since raagi pudding (nachni satva) is rich in calcium, it is advisable that it should be consumed by children and aged people in adequate quantity. This makes their bones strong.
I added a vanilla flavor since my kids like it. This can be skipped if you wish but it only gives extra flavor to Raagi pudding (Nachni satva).
Health benefits of Ragi (nachni):
- Ragi is rich in minerals like thiamine, calcium and iron.
- Ragi is also rich in carbohydrates, and low in fat, and hence helps in reducing obesity.
- Regular use of ragi protects from malnutrition, degenerative diseases and premature aging.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ragi: 1/2 cup
Jaggery: 1 cup (vary to taste)
Coconut: ½ (medium sized)
Water: 1 cup
Vanilla flavor: 1 tspn
Cashew nuts for garnishing.
- Soak raagi for 2-3 hrs.Grind raagi to a fine paste with 1 cup water.
- Sieve ragi with the fine sieve. Discard the pulp.
- Take out the thick and thin milk of coconut. Powder the cardamom.
- Mix properly ragi, coconut milk and jaggery in a non-stick pan.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame stirring continuously.
- When the mixture gets thicker add vanilla flavor and cardamom.
- Mix well and when it reaches semisolid consistency remove from heat. (This takes around 15 mins.)
- Grease a plate with 1 tspn of ghee.
- Pour the mixture onto the plate and allow it cool.
- When cooled cut Raagi pudding (Nachni satva)into pieces.
- Garnish Raagi pudding (Nachni satva) with the cashew nuts.