Manganem (Gram Dal Sweet Dish)
Manganem (Gram Dal Sweet Dish), a sweet dish from Goan Cuisine, is made out of channa dal (gram dal), jaggery and coconut as the main ingredients. Manganem is a Sweet dish which has a very auspicious importance in Goa. Manganem is commonly made in Goa especially on the occasion of Ganesh chaturthi. It brings out the sweet memories of my childhood when all families were getting together to celebrate the ganesh chaturthi festival.
Health benefits of channa dal
- Channa dal is a good source of protein, as well as minerals such as iron, copper and zinc.
- Chana dal is high in fiber and is also a source of zinc, folate, calcium and protein.
Health Benefits of Jaggery
- Jaggery is one of the best natural cleansing agent for our body which effectively cleans the respiratory tracts, food pipe, lungs, stomach and intestines. It helps the body to get away with unwanted particles and thus provides relief from constipation.
- It is considered as a nutrients storehouse. It has minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, etc. Jaggery is a rich source of many vital minerals that are required by the body for normal growth and functioning.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Channa dal (gram dal): 1 cup
Jaggery : 1 cup
Grated coconut: 2 cups
Cashew nuts: 2 tbspn (optional)
Sago: 1 tbspn (optional)
Cardamom powder: 1 tspn
Salt: 1/4th tspn
- Cook the channa dal with 4 cups water till done or pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Grind the coconut and extract the thick milk and then thin milk of coconut by adding 2 cups of water. Soak sago for 15 mins.
- Add the sago to the dal and cook till transparent.
- Add jaggery and cook for 5-10 mins on a low flame.
- Add the coconut milk, cardamom powder and cashew nuts.
- stir well, cook for another 5 mins and remove Manganem (Gram Dal Sweet Dish) from the stove.
You may also like other sweet dishes form (Goan Cuisine Recipes)