Mackerel Uddamethi (Bangdya Uddamethi)
Mackerel Uddamethi (Bangdya Uddamethi) — a gravy made out of mackerels, flavored with black gram (udad dal) and fenugreek seeds (methi). If you are looking out for popular non veg recipes from India then you can go for this one. It is one of the most popular non veg recipes from Goa, India.
The mixture of black gram (udad dal) and fenugreek brings out the unique taste to the Mackerel Uddamethi (Bangdya Uddamethi). So if you have not tried Mackerel Uddamethi (Bangdya Uddamethi) then just go for it. Try it once and you will want to eat it again. Here goes the recipe…..
Health benefits of mackerel:
Mackerel is one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids occur in high quantities in this fish. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K. It also includes various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and selenium.The fish also contains proteins.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Mackerels: 2 (medium sized)
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Dry red chillies: 6
Black pepper seeds: 10
Fenugreek seeds (Methi): ¼ tspn
Black gram dal (udad dal): 1 tbspn
Tamarind pulp: 1 tbspn
Turmeric: 1 tspn
Oil: 2 tbspn
Salt to taste
- Cut each mackerel into 4 pieces. Apply salt to the mackerel pieces for 15 mins and wash.
- Dry roast the rice till light brown in colour. Add little oil and stir fry fenugrrek seeds, black pepper seeds and black gram dal one by one separately.
- Slice one onion lengthwise and chop the other onion finely.
- Add 1 tbspn oil to the pan and stir fry the sliced onion.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry till brown.
- Grind the black pepper and fenugreek seeds finely. To this mixture add coconut, turmeric, red chillies and tamarind, grind coarsely with little water.
- Add 1 tbspn of oil to the pan, stir fry the chopped onion.
- Add the ground mixture, add 2 cups of water, stir and cook for 10 mins on low flame.
- Grind the rice and black gram dal coarsely.
- Add the mackerel pieces, rice-black gram mixture and salt.
- Stir and cook for 5 mins on a low flame.
- Serve Mackerel Uddamethi (Bangdya Uddamethi) with rice or chapatti.