Mackerel pickle (Bangdya Lonche)
Mackerel is the most readily available fish in the Goan local market. It is inexpensive compared to the other variety of fishes in Goan local market. It has many health benefits, too.
Mackerel fish found in abundance can be cooked in various ways out of which mackerel pickle is one of the most popular among goans.
Mackerel pickle is one of the Goan cuisine recipes which is eaten very often by Goans.
Health benefits of mackerel:
Mackerel is one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids occur in high quantities in this fish. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K. It also includes various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and selenium.The fish also contains proteins.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Mackerels: 3 (medium sized)
Garlic: 10 cloves (crushed)
Chilly powder: 2 tbspn
Turmeric powder: 2 tspn
Tamarind pulp: 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds: 1 tspn
Fenugreek: ½ tspn
Asafoetida: ¼ tspn
Oil: 3 tbspn
Salt to taste
- Cut each mackerel into 4 pieces.
- Apply salt for 10 mins and wash.
- Mix red chilly powder, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp to make fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Tamper mustard seeds, fenugreek and asafoetida.
- Add the crushed garlic and continue to stir-fry till light brown.
- Add the paste, mackerel pieces and stir over a low heat for about 10 mins.
- Leave it with pan covered for 10-15 mins.
- Serve with fish-curry and rice.