Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman)
Fish curry with teflam (teffal)
Goan Mackerel Fish curry (Bangda Hooman) is prepared with a spiceberry teflam or teffal(as called in konkani). Goan people are very much fond of Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman). Once eaten, you will want to eat Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman) again.
Teflam is grown in Goa and available in local goan market. Fresh ones have stronger smell and taste than the dried once. When cooked with Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman), teflam releases nice aroma which gives flavor to the Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman).
Fresh teflam are dried, stored and can be used even for a year. The husk is used and seed is discarded of dried teflam. Fresh ones are used as it is. Teflam curry can be prepared with fish like mackerel (bangdo), sardines (talle), Hilsa ilisha(Peddi), Kingfish(Viswon) etc.
I prepared the curry with the mackerel fish.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
cooking time : 15 mins
Mackerels: 3 (medium sized)
Coconut grated: 1/2 (medium sized)
Red chillies: 5 (goan red chillies), 2 (bedgi chillies)
(goan red chillies can be replaced by any other spicy chillies)
Dry coriander: 1 tbspn
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tspn
ginger: 1/2 inch
Tamarind pulp: 1 tbspn
Black peppercorns: 2-3
Green chillies: 2
Dried Teflam: 15 (10 if teflams are fresh)
salt to taste.
- Clean the mackerels, cut into pieces, apply salt and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients except green chillies and teflam to a fine paste with little water.
- Slit the green chillies vertically, wet teflam and pound a bit.
- Add water to the ground masala to make the curry of desired consistency (neither too thick nor too thin).
- Add the green chillies. Cook on a medium flame for 10 mins.
- Wash the mackerels. Add mackerels, teflams and salt to the curry.
- Bring to one boil and remove from heat.
- Serve Goan Mackerel Fish Curry (Bangda Hooman) hot with the rice.
Health Benefits of Fish:
Mackerel is one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids occur in high quantities in this fish. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K. It also includes various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and selenium.The fish also contains proteins.