Khatkhatem (Mixed Vegetable Gravy)
Khatkhatem (Mixed Vegetable Gravy) is a delectable, traditional Goan cuisine recipe. Khatkhatem (Mixed Vegetable Gravy) is made out seasonal vegetables of Goa. The seasonal vegetables include pumpkin, green plantain, raw papaya, drumsticks, raw jackfruit, yam, radish etc. Khatkhatem (Mixed Vegetable Gravy) is specially prepared by Hindu Goans during Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
Health benefits of pumpkin:
- Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
Health Benefits of Drumsticks:
- Drumsticks are excellent source of Vitamin C. It also contain good amount of many vital B-complex vitamins such as folates, Vitamin-B6, thiamin etc.
Health benefits of raw banana/green plantain:
- Raw Banana or plantain is a reliable source of starch and energy. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, A and B-6.
- It also provides adequate levels of iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
Health benefits of Radish:
- Radish is a very good source of anti-oxidants, electrolytes, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber.
- They also contain adequate levels of folates, vitamin B-6, riboflavin, thiamin and minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper and calcium.
- If the mixture gets dry after adding the vegetables, you can add some water so that vegetables will get cooked properly.
- All or Any 4 types of above mentioned vegetables which are available can be used to make Khatkhatem (Mixed Vegetable Gravy)
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Raw banana pieces: 1 cup (cubed)
Pumpkin pieces: 1 cup (cubed)
Drumsticks pieces: 1 cup (cubed)
Radish pieces: 1 cup (cubed)
Green peas: ½ cup
Toor dal: 1/4th cup
Grated coconut: 1 ½ cup
Red chillies: 3
Turmeric: ½ tspn
Tamarind pulp: 1tbspn
Salt to taste
- Cut all the vegetables into cubes except drumsticks and radish. Cut the drumsticks and radish lengthwise. Grind the coconut, red chillies, turmeric and tamarind to fine paste with little water.
- Wet the teflams and pound a bit.
- Cook the toor dal in 3 cups of water.
- Then add the drumsticks and radish pieces and cook for 10 mins
- Then add the pumpkin, raw banana, green peas and again cook for 10 mins.
- Then add ground coconut paste, teflams , salt, 1 cup of water and cook for 5 mins
- Serve with chapatti, puri, bread or rice