Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao)
Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao) is a very popular dish from the goan cuisine recipe. This rice dish has the flavor of spices and the prawns. The flavor of light spices like cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon gives amazing taste to the Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao).
- Adding the prawns stock will give an added flavor to Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao). You can even skip this and add the plain hot water. Also adding the coconut milk is upto ones choice. But if you want the real taste of Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao) than do try not to skip both prawns stock as well as coconut milk..
- Boil the heads and shells of prawns in water for 10 mins. Strain and extract to make the prawns stock.
- You can increase or decrease the number of green chillies to you taste.
Health benefits of prawns (sungta):
Prawns contain omega-3 fatty acids very important to our health and reduce many symptoms of disease and inflammation.
Prawns also contain protein and vitamin D which is important for our teeth and bones.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Basmati rice or plain rice: 2 cups
Onions: 2 (sliced)
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Green cardamoms: 4
Garlic: 4 cloves (finely cut)
Ginger : 1 inch (finely cut)
Green chillie: 3 (finely chopped)
Tomato: 1 (finely chopped)
Turmeric: 1 tspn
Red chilly powder: 1 tspn
Coconut milk: 1 cup
Lemon Juice: 1 tspn
Prawns stock: 3 cups
Ghee: 3 tbspn
Salt to taste
- Remove heads, tails and shells of prawns and boil in 3 cups of water for 10 mins. Strain and extract the 3 cups of prawns stock.
- Devein the prawns. Apply salt and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Wash the basmati rice, drain and keep aside for ½ an hour.
- Extract 1 cup of coconut milk and set aside.
- Wash the prawns. Apply red chilly powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice and keep aside for marination.
- Heat the ghee in a pan; stir fry the onion till light brown.
- Add the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and stir fry till nice aroma wafts from pan.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chilies, tomato and stir-fry for 2 mins.
- Add prawns and stir fry till prawns change the colour.
- Add rice stir-fry for a min.
- Mix prawns stock, coconut milk, salt and bring the mixture to boil.
- Lower the flame and cook Goan Prawns Pulao (Sungta Pulao) covered on a low flame till done.