Cucumber Cake (Tavsali)
Cucumber Cake (Tavsali) – yet another sweet recipe from Goa, India. Cucumber Cake (Tavsali) is made with cucumber, jaggery, coconut and semolina/soji as the main ingredients. Cucumber Cake (Tavsali) is called Tavsalli. Tavsalli word is derived from the word tavshem (Konkani term for cucumber).
- You can even steam the cake in a cooker or steamer till done.
- In place of cardamom you can include a turmeric (Haldi) leaf if available. Turmeric (Haldi) leaf gives a unique flavor to the dish.
- Grated cucumber has to be added along with the water (released from grated cucumber after a while)
Health benefits of cucumber:
- Cucumber contains Vitamin A, B and C which boost the immunity.
- It provides minerals like potassium, magnesium to the body.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Grated Cucumber: 2 (medium sized) appx 4 cups
Semolina/soji (roasted): 2 cups
Grated jaggery: 1 ½ cup
Grated coconut: 1cup
Green cardamoms: 5
Ghee: 2 tspn
- Grate the cucumber, dry roast rava/soji.
- Add all the ingredients except cardamom in a pan and mix well.
- Heat the pan on low flame and when mixture almost gets dry add cardamom and mix well.
- Cook till all water evaporates and mixture gets dry totally.
- Grease the baking dish with 1 tspn of ghee.
- Add the mixture to the baking dish, add 1 tspn of ghee and mix.
- Level the mixture with a spoon tip.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins or till done and cut into pieces.