Coconut Pulao (Narli Bhaat)
Coconut Pulao (Narli Bhaat) is a delectable recipe from the Goan cuisine. Coconut Pulao (Narli Bhaat) is made out of rice and coconut as the main ingredients. Coconut Pulao (Narli Bhaat) is flavored with the whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, tej patta leaves, black pepper etc.
Tip: Adding the lemon juice to water is optional. But lemon juice adds flavor and prevents rice from sticking to the pan while cooking.
Health benefits of Basmati Rice:
- Basmati rice is good source of carbohydrates.
- Basmati rice is good source of various vitamins including niacin and thiamine.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Basmati rice or plain rice: 1 ½ cup
Grated Coconut: 1 cup
Green chillies: 2
Black pepper seeds: 5
Green cardamom: 6 (slightly crushed)
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Tej patta leaves: 2
Aniseed: 2 petals
Lemon juice: ½ a lemon
Water: 2 ½ cups
Ghee: 3 tbspns
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and keep aside for ½ an hour.
- Extract 1 cup milk from the grated coconut. Slice the onion. Slit the chillies lengthwise.
- Heat 2 cups of water and add lemon juice to it.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick wok. Add all the whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, tej patta, aniseed, black pepper seeds. Stir fry till a nice aroma wafts from the wok.
- Add the green chillies, sliced onion and stir fry till onion changes colour.
- Then add the rice and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Mix the coconut milk with the warm water and add it to the rice.
- Add salt and mix well. Cook on a low flame till done.
- Serve hot with dal or pickle.