Coconut Barfi (Nallachi Barfi)
Coconut barfi (nallachi barfi) is tasty and easy recipe from the goan cuisine. Goan hindus prepare Coconut barfi (nallachi barfi) during the diwali festival. Goan Christians prepare Coconut barfi (nallachi barfi) during the occasion of Christmas. Coconut barfi (nallachi barfi) is prepared with only four ingredients — coconut, sugar, milk and cardamom. It tastes fabulous….
Tip: Adding the ground sugar at the end makes the coconut barfi crispy.
Health Benefits of coconut
- Coconut is source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Coconut is a good source of calcium, potassium, magnesium and electrolytes.
- Coconut provides with immunity as it is antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic. It kills harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites from our body.
- Eating coconut help the body’s ability to absorb calcium and magnesium .Thus it makes the bones and teeth strong and healthy.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Grated Coconut: 3 cups
Sugar: 1 ½ cups + ½ cup
Milk: 2 cups
Green cardamom: 6-7
almonds (sliced) for garnishing
- Mix the coconut, 1 ½ cup sugar and milk in a pan and cook the mixture stirring on a medium heat.
- Grind the remaining ½ cup sugar with cardamom.
- When the mixture dries up and starts leaving the sides of the vessel, add the ground sugar and mix well.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Grease the plate with 1 tbspn of ghee and pour the mixture onto plate.
- Flatten the mixture with the help of spatula and leave for cooling.
- Cut the mixture into pieces while it’s warm and garnish with almonds.
- Leave it to set for at least 10-12 hours before removing from the plate.