Clam Cutlets (Tissreo Dangar)
All the shellfish eaters will love the non-veg recipe, Clam Cutlets (Tissreo Dangar), from the Goan (Indian) cuisine. Clam Cutlets (Tissreo Dangar) is a very simple recipe prepared by mixing easily available ingredients like onion, semolina/rava and coconut with the clams.
Clam Cutlets (Tissreo Dangar) can be eaten as a side dish with the rice like we Goans do or can also be eaten as the starter.
Health Benefits of clams:
- It serves as a good source of phosphorus for the body, the nutrient required for proper formation of bones and teeth. In addition, it also helps the body utilize vitamins.
- It is a good source of proteins with very few calories. It helps in building lean body mass in athletes.
- It is a rich source of iron for the body. In fact, the iron content in clam is much higher than beef. It is a boon for individuals suffering from iron deficiency.
- The high amount of potassium present in clam assists the body in maintaining blood pressure and regulating heart function, along with other body processes.
- It is rich in vitamin A, which is required by the body to maintain healthy skin and also promotes vision, growth and bone development.
- Clam has a fair amount of cholesterol, which is required to maintain healthy blood cholesterol in the body.
- Be careful when adding salt since clams (shell fish) naturally contains some salty taste.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Clams: 1cup (shelled)
Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
Grated Coconut: 2 tbspn
Semolina/rava: 2 tbspn
Ginger-garlic paste: 1 tspn
Red chilly powder: 1 tspn
Turmeric powder: 1tspn
Rava/semolina for frying
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
- Marinate the clams with ginger-garlic paste, red chilly and turmeric powder for 10 mins
- Add onion, rava/semolina, coconut, salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into small balls
- Flatten the ball over the palms into cutlets and roll over in rava/semolina.
- Shallow fry on a low flame on both the sides till done.