Cabbage vegetable prepared in Goan style is very nutritious and low in calories. Goan cuisine Cabbage vegetable recipe is prepared without any oil and masala. Hence is very healthy.
Tip: while cooking the cabbage vegetable stir in between to check that the vegetable doesn’t stick to the vessel. If the water dries up beforehand you can even sprinkle some water in between till the vegetable is cooked properly.
Health Benefits of Cabbage:
- Fresh cabbage is very nutritious and low in fat and calories. 100 g of leaves provide just 25 calories.
- Fresh cabbage is an excellent source of natural antioxidant, vitamin C.
- Fresh cabbage also contains an adequate amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, and magnesium.
- Cabbage is a very good source of vitamin K, which is required for making your bones healthy.
- Fresh cabbage is also rich in essential vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1), essential vitamins required for the development of our body.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Cabbage: 1 (medium Sized)
Green chillies : 2
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tspn
Grated coconut: ½ cup
Sugar: 1 tbspn
Water: 1/4th cup
Salt to taste
- Cut and shred the cabbage. Cut the onion finely.
- Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Add all the ingredients except salt, sugar and turmeric.
- Cook covered on a low flame.
- When cabbage vegetable is almost cooked add turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Mix well and cook on low flame till the cabbage vegetable is fully cooked.
- Serve the cabbage vegetable hot as side dish with the rice.