Bilimbi Pickle (Bimla Lonche)
Bilimbi Pickle (Bimla Lonche) has a unique sweet and sour taste. Bilimbi Pickle (Bimla Lonche) is made out of Bilimbi (Bimla) and jaggery as the main ingredients… Bimla is a seasonal fruit of Goa and has a sour taste. It is also used in Goan fish curries to enhance the flavor. Once eaten you will want to eat the Bilimbi Pickle (Bimla Lonche) again.. So surely try this recipe and don’t miss out one of the mouth relishing dish from Goan cuisine..
Tips: Refrigerate the Bilimbi Pickle (Bimla Lonche) in order to last longer.
Health benefits of Bilimbi (Bimla):
- Bilimbi(Bimla fruit is the good source of proteins, fiber, phosphorus, iron, calcium, carotene, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), niacin, riboflavin, thiamine etc.
- It also contains antioxidants that prevent free radicals from invading our bodies.
Health Benefits of Jaggery:
- Jaggery is one of the best natural cleansing agent for our body which effectively cleans the respiratory tracts, food pipe, lungs, stomach and intestines. It helps the body to get away with unwanted particles and thus provides relief from constipation.
- It is considered as a nutrients storehouse. It has minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, etc. Jaggery is a rich source of many vital minerals that are required by the body for normal growth and functioning.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Bilimbi (Bimla): 50
Jaggery: ½ kg
Red chilly powder: 2 tbspn
Asafetida: 1 tspn
Mustard seeds: 1 tbspn
Fenugreek seeds: 1tspn
Water: 1/2 cup
- Cut each Bilimbi (Bimla) into 4 pieces. Mix jaggery with water and cook on low flame till all the jaggery dissolves in water.
- Add the Bilimbi (Bimla) pieces to the jaggery mixture.
- In a pan heat the oil, season asafetida, mustard seeds and fenugreek.
- Add Bilimbi (Bimla), jaggery mixture to the seasoning.
- Add chilly powder and salt.
- Cook on low heat till the mixture turns thick and syrupy.
- Serve with chapatti or rice.