Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo)
Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo) is made out of riped bananas (mandoli bananas) and sugar as the main ingredients. Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo) is flavored with cloves and cardamom.
Mandoli Bananas are also known as Moira Bananas (bearing the name of the village in Goa where it grows in). Mandoli Bananas are long; tusk shaped and is specially used for making Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo). The skin of the banana turns black after ripening. That is the right time to make Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo).
Health benefits of Bananas:
- Bananas are packed with dietary fiber.
- Bananas are good source of Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B6 and manganese.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Mandoli (Moira) Bananas: 3
Sugar: 1 cup
Cardamom powder: 1 tspn
Ghee: 3 tbspn
Water: 1/4th cup
- Peel and Slice the banana horizontally into thin slices. Add water to the sugar and cook for 6-7 mins on a low flame to make sugary syrup.
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the cloves and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Then add the sliced bananas and stir fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add the sugary syrup to the bananas and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and serve Banana Halwa (Kelyacho Halwo) with chapathi or as a sweet dish.
You may also like other sweet dish recipes (Goan cuisine recipes)