Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alsande Ros)
Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alsande Ros) is a gravy prepared from Kidney-beans (Alsande ros) which is cultivated and eaten on large scale in Goa. So all the vegetarians can go for this tasty gravy when in Goa.
Whole masalas added to the Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alsande Ros) brings the unique taste to the gravy. Care should be taken while roasting the masala because if overdone, it’ll give bitter taste to Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alsande Ros). So whole masalas should be roasted on low flame till the nice aroma of masala is released from the pan.
So here it is! Get started with cooking Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alsande Ros)!!
Health benefits of Kidney-Beans (Alsande):
Kidney-Beans (Alsande) are very high in protein. The beans are also good source of nutrients such as folate, magnesium, iron and potassium.
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Kidney-beans: 1/2 cup
Grated coconut: ½ (medium sized)
Oil: 3 tbspn
Green coriander: 2 tbspn (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Black pepper:1 tspn
Mace: 1 strand
Dagadful: 2 petals (remove the seeds between the petals)
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Dry coriander: 2 tbspn
Poppy seeds: 1 tbspn
Red chillies: 5-6
- Soak the Kidney-beans overnight. Pressure cook the Kidney-beans and keep aside.
- Roast all the whole masalas one by one with very little oil.
- Slice one onion vertically and chop the tomato and other onion very finely.
- Heat one tbspn of oil and roast the sliced onion till pink.
- Add the grated coconut and roast till nice aroma of the coconut is released.
- Grind roasted coconut, roasted masalas and turmeric to a fine paste with a little water.
- Heat 2 tblspn of oil. Stir-fry the finely chopped onion for 3-4 mins.
- Add tomato and stir-fry for another 3-4 mins
- Add the ground masala and sauté for 3-4 mins.
- Add the cooked beans along with water.
- Make the gravy to desired consistency (neither too thick nor too thin) by adding additional water if required.
- Bring the gravy to boil, add salt and green coriander leaves and then remove from heat.
- Serve hot with bread, chapatti or rice.