Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken)
Goan climate is conducive for cashew plantation. In Goa nearly 55,000 hectares of land under cashew plantation produces plenty of cashew fruits. This is the highest than any other state in India. Ripe Cashew apples are plucked from trees and cashew nuts are separated subsequently.
The locally made Goan famous “feni” drink is extracted from this cashew apple.
I thought of making chicken gravy with cashew nuts – Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken). since my kids and husband love the cashew nuts. Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken) came out so yummy that my family loved this Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken) and cashew taste in it.
Kids will love this Cashew Chicken Gravy(Caju Chicken). Goenchyogazaali is giving the step by step pic of the Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken) thus making cooking easier for all. Check out the recipe of Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken) and do try it at least once!!
Health Benefits of Cashew nuts (caju) :
Cashews are high in calories. 100 g of nuts provide 553 calories. They are packed with soluble dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and numerous health-promoting phyto-chemicals that help protect from diseases.
Health Benefits of Chicken:
Chicken is a great source of protein. Chicken is also rich in potassium, calcium and contains no carbohydrates.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Onion: 2 (chopped finely)
Green chillies: 4(chopped finely)
Garlic: 2 tbspn (chopped finely)
Ginger: 1 tbspn (chopped finely)
Coriander powder: 4 tbspn
Cumin powder: 1 tbspn
Red chilly powder: 2 tspn
Turmeric power: ½ tbspn
Black pepper powder: ½ tspn
Garam masala pawder : 1 tspn
Tomato puree: 1 tomato
Green coriander leaves: ½ a cup (finely chopped)
Cashew nut: 15-20
Oil: 3 tbspn
Lemon juice: ½ tbspn
Turmeric powder: 1 tspn
Salt to tast
- Marinade the chicken by adding the ingredients under marinade and keep aside for marinating for at least one hour.
- Soak the cashew nut in water for ½ an hour. Make the paste of cashew nuts.
- Make a masala paste of coriander, cumin, red chilly, turmeric, black pepper and garam masala powders by adding little water and keep aside.
- Heat the pan with the oil. Add chopped onion and stir-fry till transluscent.
- Add garlic, ginger and stir-fry till its raw smell goes away.
- Add green chilies and stir-fry for another 2-3 mins.
- Add the masala paste and sauté for sometime till the raw smell of spice powders goes away.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix well such that chicken gets coated with all masala paste.
- Cook the chicken on a low flame with the pan covered for 5 mins.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well.
- Add green coriander, mix and cook on low flame till the chicken is cooked.
- Add the salt and then add cashew paste. Mix and simmer for 5 mins
- Remove from the heat and serve the Cashew Chicken Gravy (Caju Chicken) hot with roti, chapatti or rice.