Hog plums Gravy (Ambade Karam)
Hog plums Gravy (Ambade Karam) has a unique sweet, sour and spicy taste. Goan Hindus specially prepare this gravy on the occasion of Diwali.
Fresh Hog plums dipped in sweet, sour and spicy gravy gives mouth watering taste to Hog plums Gravy (Ambade Karam).
We have a hog plums tree in the neighborhood. So got some fresh, green hog plums from them and prepared the mouth watering Hog plums Gravy (Ambade Karam).
Health benefits of Hog plums (Ambade):
Hog plums are low in calories, high in dietary fiber. They are good source of Vitamin A and C. Also they are high in potassium, iron and other essential minerals.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Hog plums: 7-8
Grated coconut: 1 ½ cup
Red chilies: 3
Jaggery: 1 cup
Green chillies: 2
Mustard seeds: 1 tspn
Hing: ¼ tspn
Oil: 3 tbspn
salt to taste
- wash and peel the hog plums, apply salt and keep aside.
- Heat the ½ tbspn oil in a pan and roast lightly the coconut, peppercorns and red chillies .
- Add turmeric and grind the mixture coarsely with little water.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, green chillies and hing.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add the hog plums and jaggery and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Then add the ground coconut mixture with ¼ cup water.
- Stir and cook on low flame till done (gravy should be totally dry)
- Serve hot with chapatti or roti or as a side dish with the rice.