Mackerel Fry (Bangdo Fry)
Mackerel is most commonly eaten fish in Goa. It tastes fabulous when fried by applying proper masala.
Mackerel fish odour is very strong so masala applied to it while making Mackerel Fry (Bangdo Fry) has to be very strong in order to remove the entire fish odour.
My husband loves Mackerel Fry (Bangdo Fry). so I prepare it at least once in a week.
Health benefits of mackerel:
Mackerel is one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids occur in high quantities in this fish. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K. It also includes various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and selenium.The fish also contains proteins.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Mackerel Fish: 4(medium sized)
Red chilly powder: 2 tbspn
Tumeric powder: 1 tbspn
Garlic paste: ½ tbsn
Lemon juice: ½ a lemon
Salt: ½ tspn
Oil: 3 tbspn
- Clean the mackerel fish (Discard head, tail and fins).
- Make slits sideways to the fish in order to put the masala.
- Apply salt to the fish and keep aside.
- Make a masala paste by adding all the ingredients under masala.(add little water if required)
- Drain away the excess salt water from the mackerels.
- Apply masala all over the fish and put masala in the slits.
- Marinate for 10 to 20 mins.
- Roll over the fish in rawa/semolina.
- Heat the oil in a pan and shallow fry on both the sides till done.
- Serve Mackerel Fry (Bangdo Fry) hot with Fish curry-rice.