Goan Prawns Fish Curry (Sungta Hooman)
Goan Prawns Fish Curry (Sungta Hooman)is a very tasty and commonly eaten curry in goa. Goan Prawns Fish Curry (Sungta Hooman) can be made more flavored by adding any of the following ingredients – ladyfinger or bimbal (vegetable in Goa which has sour taste) or raw mangoes (tora) or reddish or drumsticks. Each of these ingredients gives different flavor and taste to the Goan Prawns Fish Curry (Sungta Hooman)
Red chillies (mirchi) used here are grown in fields of goan villages and are available in the goan local market. They are called as gavanti mirsangyo in konkani. They are named according to the villages where they are grown in goa for ex. Kanakona mirchi, mapusa mirchi, diwade mirchi etc. These chillies are spicy. Bedgi chillies, which I used here, are non-spicy but impart a beautiful red color to the curry.
In the similar manner other fish curries like Pomfret(Pomplet), Silver bar(Korli), Lady fish(Mudoshi), Mullet(Shevtali/Shevto), Sole(Lep), Anchovy or Silver belly(Velli) can be prepared.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
cooking Time: 20 mins
Prawns: 12-15 (medium sized)
Coconut: ½ (medium sized)
Goan Red chillies: 6
Bedgi chillies: 2
Coriander seeds: 1tbspn
Onion: 1 (sliced into 3-4 big pieces)
Turmeric powder: ½ tspn
Tamarind pulp: 1 tbspn
Black pepper: 3-4
Green chillies: 2 (slitted lenghtwise)
Vegetables (drumsticks or ladyfinger or reddish etc)(optional)- 2-3 pieces
Salt to taste
- Clean the prawns, apply salt and keep aside.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, coriander seeds, onion, turmeric powder, black pepper and tamarind pulp into fine paste with little water.
- Mix ground paste, green chillies and required water to make the curry of desired consistency.
- Curry should be neither very thick nor very thin.
- Cook on a medium flame for 5 mins.
- Add the prawns to the curry.
- Add any of the vegetables (2-3 small pieces) mentioned above to the curry.
- Add salt. Bring to one boil and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Health Benefits of Prawns (Sungta):
Prawns contain omega-3 fatty acids very important to our health and reduce many symptoms of disease and inflammation
Prawns also contain protein and vitamin D which is important for our teeth and bones.