Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti)
Chicken xacuti (Shaguti) is the authentic and traditional goan cuisine recipe. It includes a mixture of many whole spices making it spicier and tastier.
Blender of coconut and whole spices in right proportion gives awesome taste to Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti)!!!
Almost all the goan ladies are well versed with Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti). I got the recipe Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti) from my mother and try to do it in the same way as she does. Though the preparation of Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti) takes some time, you’ll know it’s well worth it, when eating Chicken Xacuti (Shaguti)!!
Health benefits of chicken:
Chicken is a great source of protein. Chicken is also rich in potassium, calcium and contains no carbohydrates.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Chicken: 1kg (cut into medium sized pieces)
Coconut: 1(medium sized)
Onions: 4 (medium sized)
Tomato: 1(medium sized)
Oil: 4 tbspn
Salt to taste
Green paste for marinating:
Green chilies: 5
Green coriander leaves: a handful
Garlic: 20 cloves
Ginger: 2 inch
Lemon juice: 1 lemon
Chicken Xacuti masala:
Black peppercorns: 15
Cinnamon: 2 inch
Star anise: 3 petals (seeds removed)
Fennel seeds: 1tspn
Cumin seeds: 1tspn
Coriander seeds: 3 tbspn
Poppy seeds: 1 tbspn
Red chillies: 15
- Grind all the ingredients under green masala to a fine paste.
- Apply salt, turmeric and green masala paste to chicken.
- Marinate chicken for at least one hour.
- Heat 1 tspn of oil in a pan.
- Roast all the whole masalas on a low fame one by one until a strong aroma is released.
- Be careful not to burn the whole masalas while roasting.
- Grind all the roasted maslas to a fine paste with little water.
- Slice one onion lengthwise and chop remaining 3 very finely.
- Heat 1 tbspn of oil in a pan and stir-fry sliced onion till it turns light brown.
- Then add grated coconut and stir-fry until it turns light brown.
- Grind this mixture to a fine paste with little water.
- Heat 2 tbspn of oil, stir-fry the finely chopped onion till it changes the colour.
- Add the chopped tomato and stir fry till soft.
- Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for 5 mins.
- Cook the chicken with the pan covered on a low flame for 15 mins.
- Add the ground xacuti masala paste, stir and cook covered till done.
- Add coconut paste, with little water (gravy should be neither too thick nor too thin) .
- Add salt and bring to one boil.
- Remove from heat and serve with bread or rice.